Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Dead on Monday

It all began one balmy night.
I was walking down the street,
on my tired ol feet,
not missing a beat,
thinking that,
my life is so sweet,
when all of a sudden

WHAMMM, a truck decided to take a right turn where there wasn't one. Unfortunately I happened to be on the path of the wayward truck.
As I lay there bleeding on my way to oblivion, my life did a flashback on me.(It is true what they say about your life doing the flash back thinngy a few moments before you join the 'I lived' alumni club)
An English teacher who taught me there was more to life than Sidney Sheldon and James Hadley Chase, A pretty classmate who might have been my wife, a friend who always spoke the wrong thing at the wrong moment. A sister who is of the opinion that I need to get a search and rescue squad to find and retrieve my senses. A girl friend who's competing with me to win the 'weirdo' sweepstakes. These are some but not all of the actors who play a part in the final show.
Red and blue lights are flashing around me, the night looks surreal. A drizzle indicates the first signs of a stormy night. The people around me scream, a few faint at the sight of the increasing rivulets of blood. The pavement has a new paint job, black, white and red. A Paramedic clamps an oxygen mask on my face and shifts me onto a stretcher. It is a wasted effort. I know I will be present at the John Lennon concert that night.Dancing with Elvis and Greta Garbo and maybe dinner with Hitler.
The Buddhists say you will be reborn. Your soul will move from your body to another body. Somewhat like shifting the house. You are still the same, only the address is changed. What happens to the memories? They are probably stored in an archive file in a big hard disk somewhere and your mind is wiped clean for its new home. You start with a formatted mind.
I know I will be reborn as a carpenter in the South Pacific Island of Tonga. The crystal ball gazing gypsy at the carnival told me so.
The Buddhists also say that you can stop the cycle of birth and death if you attain nirvana. The way to nirvana is through reading Koans like the one below,

Cold Mountain is a house
Without beams or walls.
The six doors left and right are open
The hall is blue sky.
The rooms all vacant and vague
The east wall beats on the west wall
At the center nothing.

- Han Shan, circa 630

Have you attained nirvana yet, have you, have you??Hmm...maybe there is some fine print there. I'll get back to you on that one.

As I take my last breath, the answer to the riddle of life is reveled to me. And I fade away sighing , "Humans have got it all wrong".

Please send your Contributions to ,
Jewish Fund for Islamic Studies
Tel Aviv,
Israel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read all ur work and I think by far this is the most amazing piece I have ever read. (Btw, I dont read much:) ) Where u listening to Pink Floyd when u wrote this?? Great work! Keep it up! Loved it! Got more?? :)
PS- Can I buy u a drink??

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

***Applause***
~N

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->